Teeth whitening is one of the most common dental procedures because it is easy to perform and it produces fast and visible results. Although there are a number of methods by which teeth whitening can be done, the most effective method is the professional teeth whitening that is performed in a dental office.
Teeth whitening is the process of applying bleaching agents or solutions to the teeth to address the molecules that cause the teeth discoloration. The solution is normally left on the teeth for about 30 minutes to an hour. There are also the so called intrinsic stains which needs the bleaching agents to be sealed inside the tooth. An example of a tooth that has intrinsic stains is the one that had been through a root canal treatment. Bleaching is effective in dealing with yellowish stains and even brown stains. However, bleaching may not work with teeth that had restorations like fillings and bonding material, so this is also one of the most important considerations before you even decide to get teeth whitening.
Teeth discoloration can be a result of many things and factors. You can have a discolored or yellowish teeth due to genetics. It means that the color of your teeth may have been genetically inherited from your parents or grandparents.
The food and drinks that you eat and drink also be a contributing factor to teeth discoloration. If you want to keep a whiter teeth, the types of food or drinks you need to stay away from are coffee, tea, soda and wine. Some fruits and vegetables can also cause stains on your teeth. Certain lifestyle habits like cigarette and tobacco smoking are one of the major factors for teeth discoloration so if you do not want a yellow colored teeth, quit smoking.
Another factor for teeth discoloration are certain medications or antibiotics that are given to a child while the teeth are still developing.
And while there are many contributing factors for a stained or discolored teeth, there are also methods available to address them.
- Over the counter teeth whitening – these are whitening systems that can be bought from many drugstores and pharmacies without a dentist’s prescription. These are being widely used because of the fact that these are very easy to use and are affordable. Examples of these products are whitening toothpaste, whitening gels and strips and even whitening gums.
- Professional teeth whitening – also known as in office teeth whitening, this is known to be the most effective method to achieve a visibly whiter teeth. This procedure is performed in a dental office. With a professional teeth whitening treatment, you do not have to keep on coming back for several sessions because your teeth can be 8 to 10 times whiter right after just one visit, unlike other teeth whitening methods that require repetitive use before the results can be noticeable. Professional teeth whitening use strong bleaching agents that are activated by a laser to make the whitening process a lot faster.
What are the benefits of a professional teeth whitening procedure?
- Professional teeth whitening can produce fast results. One of the reasons why in office teeth whitening is so in demand these days is because of the fact that it delivers immediate results. The store bought teeth whitening kits may be affordable and cheaper but they normally take 2 to 4 weeks before the difference can be seen. With professional teeth whitening, you can achieve a whiter smile in just a matter of an hour.
- The whitening agents that are being used by the dentists in a professional teeth whitening treatment are a lot stronger compared to the ones that are contained in the over the counter kits. These products are more powerful which is why they have the ability to change your teeth’s shade and make them whiter in just one hour.
- Teeth whitening can increase your self-confidence. A whiter teeth can definitely make you feel confident especially when you speak and flash your pearly whites.
- Teeth whitening performed in a dental office is also safer because they are professionally applied by a dentist. The ones that you can buy over the counter can increase your risk of teeth sensitivity because of incorrect application.
For more information on teeth whitening, call Smile Center (678) 904-2001 or (678) 999-3128, or visit us at 999 Peachtree Street NE, Suite 700, Atlanta, Georgia 30309 or 2900 Peachtree Road NW, Suite 209,Atlanta, Georgia 30305.