Root canal treatment is focused on repairing damaged tooth to eliminate the need for extraction. The procedure involves the removal of the infected pulp to stop the infection from progressing.
Keeping the tooth could help prevent bone loss, gums recession, and the remaining healthy teeth from shifting positions. At Smile Center Team, we offer Root Canal Treatment to help our patients keep their natural tooth structure.
Regardless of what you may have read from social media or heard from other people, root canal treatment is not painful as you think. With the help of improved equipment, local anesthetics, and sedation options for anyone with special needs the procedure is made even more comfortable
Reason for Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment is necessary to save or repair the teeth from further damage which can result in a more intensive dental treatment, or it may even lead to extraction.
The infection could cause:
- Bone loss around the tip of the infected tooth
- Hole to appear at the side of a tooth
- Swelling of the face, neck, and head
How is the procedure performed?
A root canal treatment requires multiple dental appointments to complete. It is performed by an endodontist who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of problems in the dental pulp.
- The local anesthetic is administered through injection to numb the treatment site. Once the numbing takes place, a small sheet of rubber(dental dam) is placed to keep the tooth dry and clean throughout the whole procedure.
- The expert will create an opening to access the infected pulp. The pulp, decayed nerve tissue, related debris are cleared away using small files. The files are also used to shape the chamber of the tooth and root. The remaining pulp is then washed away using water or sodium hypochlorite.
- After the chamber is cleaned and dried, the tooth will be filled with gutta-percha (rubber-like material). The surface of the tooth is sealed with a dental filling to protect it from further damage. A dental crown is used to restore its overall appearance and function.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- The treatment can help in reducing the pain, discomfort, and sensitivity that is experienced due to the infected tooth pulp.
- By removing the infected pulp and by cleaning the root canal, it prevents the further spread of infection that can cause more dental complications.
- Root Canal Treatment can help in repairing and saving the natural structure of a tooth to avoid intensive treatments.
Save, restore and strengthen your teeth through Root Canal Treatment in Atlanta. Call us to book your appointment with Smile Center Team. We have two convenient locations in Midtown & Buckhead.